Can you say Mah-Loo-Lah-Knee?

Monday, September 04, 2006

In the Words of Jack Sparrow, Are You Savvy?

Are you Savvy??? Since the last class meeting I have been trying to get onto my internet here at home, but it hasn't been working. My uncle, The Whiz, was in the mountains for the weekend and no one else in the house knows how to fix our wireless connection. Now this wouldn't normally be a problem, but since I had an assignment which required the internet, I was a little stumped. My situation this weekend made me wonder how much media I actually consume and how much I know about the technology that brings me that media. The answer to that question seems to be that I consume quite a bit of media, but I have no clue how any of the technology works. It seems to me that throughout the day a person can see or here commercials for the newest and latest technology. A person can see a billboard or scan an ad or article in a newspaper or magazine, but when it comes to understanding how to work the technology behind the media we tend to leave that to the "Geeks." Hence the creation of Best Buy's "Geek Squad." Now I don't know how many people are like me, in the sense that I do not enjoying spending too much money on one thing (Some may call it cheap or frugal, but for sake of the argument, I will call myself a money saver). I don't like spending money on things that do not seem all that necessary, however, I am more likely to go to Best Buy's "Geek Squad" than even attempt to understand how to fix a computer myself. Why is that? I love learning new things, but when it comes to technology, I just need to know how to work it, not fix it. I know there are plenty of other people out there like me. But why is it that although we need it, we don't want to know how to fix it???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home