Can you say Mah-Loo-Lah-Knee?

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Katie, the Final Frontier?


So I didn't realize until today in a diversity in the media class that Katie Couric's broadcast tonight was as important as it really is. Her broadcast will apparently signify the first broadcast to have a female news anchor. There are other news stations which have female anchors, but this is a World news report, it is available to the entire country, if not a wider span of viewers, unlike our local telecasts. I have to be honest, I am not to keen on the idea of watching World News on American television channels. In my experience they have a tendency to be biased and when I look for news, I want truth and honesty, regardless of my feelings or whether or not I can handle the truth. I think that Katie Couric's taking on the CBS Evening News is definately a step forward, but at the same time I'm not sure whether or not that is a good thing. I didn't get a chance to watch it when it aired so I actually went back and watched it online, and what I noticed is that hardly any news stories were covered. The few stories that were covered, were introduced by Katie and run by someone else and the one story covered by Katie was an interview with the President. I'm not quite sure how I feel about all of this, because I think I expected more. With as much as goes on in this world, especially with the "War on Terror," you would think that the new's stations would have something else to report on besides the precious and already infamous "TomKat." Why is it that our news stations look to celebrities for the latest in "world news," but it is other countries that know what is really going on in the world? Are we ignorant enough to believe that we are getting the "real" news or do these news stations just hope that we are?

Click here to watch Katie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home