Can you say Mah-Loo-Lah-Knee?

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

PS3...The Newest High

Before I get too deep into my post, I must first ask a few simple questions.

Have you ever been camping?
Have you ever played a video game?
Have you ever wanted to buy or bought a video game console?

Now, the tricky question...

Have you ever wanted to buy a video game console so badly that you went camping over night just to be the first person in line when the store opens?

If you have, I must say, you are crazy.
Well, maybe not you, but there are some crazy people out there.

As I arrived at work yesterday (remeber I work at Best Buy), I walked around the corner of the building, from my car to the door, and I almost fell over a tent.
YES! A tent!
Random, right?

Why, you ask?
Well in case you have been living in a bubble for the last few weeks, the only way to explain why they were waiting in line is to simply say, IT'S COMING!!!
Yes, PS3 is on its way.

It is set to be released on Friday, November 17, 2006.
Yes, that is this Friday.

So, please enlighten me as to why people are camping out for almost an entire business week just to get one.
The answer:
MONEY!!!

The systems are selling for $500 and $600 the difference in price being the difference in memory of the player.


Why so expensive?
The newest birth of Playstation has actually become part of the next generation DVD family. Capable of playing Blue-Ray discs, it will be the cheapest Blue-Ray player on the market (the rest starting at $999).
The PS3 will be the highest resolution on the gaming market. It will be the only gaming system to harbor 1080p compatiblity (the highest television resolution in the market).
Yet, does that make the system worth camping out for?
Why not wait?
As I said before, the answer:
MONEY!

Money is the answer because I can almost guarantee that every single one of the people waiting in line outside my work are going to purchase the PS3, turn around, and sell it on E-Bay for two if not three times the price they paid for it. It is like having a black market for video games, with many people willing to pay top dollar for the latest high.


You are probably thinking to yourself how I can possibly relate video games and consoles to drugs. It is simple.
They are both ADDICTING.
They truly are.
When I was younger, and sometimes even now, with my old school (Super) Ninentdo, I have found myself, procrastinating homework by picking up the controller and turning the system on. Each time knowing that I had homework that needed to get done. Each time saying only one more level. After each level, I would tell myself only one more level, one more life, one more secret. After each "one more" time goes by.
Life passes you by.
Soon I look out the window and it is dark.
I check my clock and it's past midnight.
Where did the day go?

Now if that can happen to me, with the insanely old graphics that the SuperNintendo has, I can only imagine what will happen to the people who purchase the PS3.
I can only imagine what is already happening to people in this world.
People so consumed with video games and sitting in front of a television to play a virtual reality role playing game (or for those video gamers out there, an RPG) that they miss the world around them.
I do not understand how people can let real life pass them by for video games.
For--VIRTUAL REALITY.
Is reality that bad?

My suggestion...


Get out of line.
Get a job.
Go back to work.
Stay in school.
Get an education.
And maybe, just maybe, one day you will see that there is more to life than video games.
And if you don't see that, then go work for a video game company, and create video games, at least that is ultimately somewhat productive; however you would be contributing to the addiction.
If nothing else, please just stand up and walk away.
It is not hard.
As I said before,
It is actually

VERY SIMPLE.




1 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why is the text of this post centered? It makes it very difficult to read.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home